Friday, July 20, 2012

Modern Baker: Cinnamon-Scented Baked Chocolate Mousse Cake

The Modern Bakers are still hard at work on churning out all these cakes. This cinnamon-scented baked chocolate mousse cake has tremendous potential!

N.M. says he makes this cake when he has a bare minimum of time for a dessert. I don't disagree that it's a great option for a last minute dessert and one would usually have all the ingredients on hand, however, since I was anticipating this cake so much the bake time of one hour was torturous.
The cake is quite simple to make with only 5 ingredients (6 if you count water). There is no flour in this cake, although plenty of eggs. It's baked in a pan of water to insulate the bottom. N.M. says this is much like cheesecake, however I've never baked cheesecake in a pan of water. Perhaps I'm missing out.

The cake has a great texture. It's spongy and light. The flavor was great, however personally I'd have liked the cinnamon scent to be stronger. In fact, I wouldn't mind dropped the "scented" and putting in enough cinnamon to taste. N.M. has some other great ideas about using rum or orange liqueur in place of the cinnamon. A very versatile cake this is!

2 comments:

  1. Great post! So good, in fact, that I grabbed it for the offical post on the Challenge site.

    And your cake looks great! I was looking for inspiration for something to bake this weekend, and I just found it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you make a good case for making this one...easy and quick always sends recipes shooting toward the top of the list here. That and the guys love chocolate. Good post, thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails