Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Modern Baker: Real Strawberry Shortcake

Strawberry shortcake. Is there a better summer dessert? I think not!

The Modern Bakers are baking their way through The Modern Baker Cookbook by Nick Malgieri. We are now in cakes. These little shortcakes were quite easy to put together. N.M.'s strategy of using the food processor is simple and I'm hooked on this process for pie crusts. I combined the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in the food processor. I pulsed in the cold butter and then the egg and buttermilk until it all became a ball. I then made six large shortcakes by hand and placed them on a silpat to bake. In 20 minutes I had perfectly golden shortcakes. These beat those spongy store-bought shortcakes any day!

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on all of this, there is no better dessert in my mind and I am hooked on the whole FP pie crust dough thing, so this sounds very nice to me. Going there soon. Beautiful photo of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree -- this was a great version of the perfect dessert. Makes me sad that strawberry season is over for another year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails