Sunday, June 10, 2012

Modern Baker: Blueberry Jam Cake

I must begin this post by thanking N.M. I have never been able to unmold a bundt cake so beautifully! I now look forward to my husband's birthday Kentucky butter rum cake. Bring on unmolding!!

Okay, so it is technically supposed to be blackberry jam cake, but I didn't have any blackberry jam. I did have one last jar of homemade seedless blueberry jam. I figured N.M. would support the substitution.
The Modern Baker challengers are baking their way through The Modern Baker cookbook section by section. We are now in cakes!

I began by creaming the butter and sugar. It seems almost all dessert recipes begin this way. I added the eggs and then the flour mixture alternating with buttermilk. The flour mixture consisted of flour, cocoa, allspice, cinnamon, and baking soda. Finally, I added pecans and the blueberry jam.

I omitted the raisins.
I recently saw this fantastic quote from the movie Benny & Joon.
"You don't like raisins?" 
"No, they used to be fat and juicy, now they're twisted, they had their lives' stolen. They taste sweet, but really they're just humiliated grapes."
I stand firm that no humiliated grapes enter my baking!


The cake was delicious! I'd make one again in a heartbeat! After my blueberry jam substitute was a hit I imagine I'd equally love blackberry. Come to think of it, I bet raspberry, marionberry, and chesterberry would also be fabulous! Endless possibilities....

2 comments:

  1. That is one beautiful cake! Sounds good with the sub as well. LOL on Benny and Joon...I love that movie, I giggle every time I see it. My favorite is when she is pouring cereal into a blender wearing a diving/scuba mask...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We loved this one as well. I made the blackberry version, but blueberry sounds absolutely inspired!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails