Friday, May 11, 2012

The Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge- Almost Complete!

Tomorrow I will post the final bread in the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge. Two years ago- to the date tomorrow- I began my journey of learning to bake bread.

When I began I didn't know what yeast was , let alone instant yeast, or even where to find it in the store.
I didn't know that breads rose twice- the first usually referred to as fermenting and the second usually referred to as proofing. I didn't know that a lot of breads take more than one day to make! I had no idea what bread dough should feel like and was confused by Reinhart's "tacky but not sticky" repeated comment on how the dough should feel. I had no idea how to make, store, or feed a starter.

I am amazed at all I have learned and how much I've enjoyed baking bread. I am a bread baker now and I can't wait to see what bread comes next! Thank you Peter Reinhart for writing this bread book and thank you Nicole at Pinch My Salt for creating this great challenge out of boredom and a random thought!

I looked at the list of breads I baked for this challenge trying to find favorites and it is so hard to choose. There were so many! Here are my top 10.... we'll, at least my top 10 for today!

Bagels
Challah
Ciabatta
Foccacia
French Bread
Multigrain Bread Extordinare
Pizza Napoletana 
Potato Rosemary Bread
Sourdough
Potato, Cheddar, and Chive Torpedoes

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to read about the final bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That list looks similar to mine. I also make the French Baguettes over and over and also the English Muffin Bread over and over. The only one I didn't care for was the cornbread as all that bacon grease just was not appealing. I need to try it without that grease and see how I feel. It's been a great journey, hasn't it? I feel like I know a lot about bread after doing it all! I was clueless before I started.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails