Saturday, May 12, 2012

BBA #43: Roasted Onion and Asiago Miche

Challenge Completed!!!
The forty-third (and final bread!!!) of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is Roasted Onion and Asiago Miche. This is a three day bread that is worth every minute it takes to make!

On day 1, I made the sponge with my starter, water, and bread flour. The sponge fermented on the counter all day and then went into the fridge for overnight. On day 2, I made the bread dough and roasted the onions in the oven. The dough consisted of a lot of bread flour (7 cups!), yeast, water, salt, olive oil, shredded Asiago cheese, and chopped chives and scallions. All of this dough was a bit much for my KitchenAid mixer but I kept at it. Flour kept sloshing out the sides and wound around the hook connections. After the dough finally all came together and the dough hook mixed it for a couple minutes, I got the bread on the counter and hand kneaded it for several more minutes to give it a final good mixing. The dough fermented for 3 hours and then I shaped it into two boules and placed them in the fridge for overnight.
The next morning I got the breads out and realized I couldn't cook both of them at once because they were so big and my baking stone wasn't large enough. Oh well, that just doubled the amount of time my house smelled like baking bread!!

I topped them with another half of the Asiago cheese and my roasted onions and baked each for 35-40 minutes. I'm not sure my house has ever smelled so good! Baking bread, baking/melting cheese, and roasting onion filled the house.
The bread was incredible and well worth the two years it took to get here. The crumb was so delicious with pockets of cheesy goodness and a soft chewy texture. The crust was to die for, especially the top where the extra Asiago cheese and onions were. I took the breads to a family event and everyone commented on how delicious the bread was. It was a real crowd pleaser.
So, here I find myself at the end of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge. What a fantastic finale!!

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! This final one looks delicious. I wish I had your stamina to cook through all those breads because I know I would learn an immense amount. I tried to jump right into to one of the most difficult ones (the multigrain bread) and tinkered with the recipe to use up some whole grain flours I had, and the end result (with several tried) was yummy but flat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! What an accomplishment! We loved this one, too...it's such a great bread to end with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. CONGRATULATIONS! Now what are you going to be doing with all this oven time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! It looks spectacular. I have to say this was one of my very favorite breads, we used it a lot of different ways. Now what...are you venturing on with other breads of some sort?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails