Tuesday, May 1, 2012

BBA #42: Potato, Cheddar, and Chive Torpedoes

The forty-second bread of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is Potato, Cheddar, and Chive Torpedoes. This recipe is in fact the recipe of Tim and Crystal Decker, a friend of the author Peter Reinhart's. Reinhart has added a nice "final grace note" introducing us to them and their bakery in Santa Rosa. I am in the epilogue and have only one bread left! What a journey this bread baking has been.

This bread is made using my barm, cooked potatoes, the potato water, bread flour, yeast, salt, chopped chives, and sharp cheddar cheese. It is one of my absolute favorites from this book and the fact it is a one day bread makes it an extra bonus! Although, I'll need to plan out eating this bread in the future because if dinner tonight is any indication, I'll need to plan ahead for eating nothing but bread for a whole meal.
Even though I've baked 41 breads I'm still learning. My barm seemed more "watery" than at other times and I absentmindedly added a bit more potato water before really checking the dough during mixing. I was reminded that a little water goes a long way in bread baking. I had to add a ton of additional flour to rectify the super sticky dough I was dealing with. The note about the dough needing to clear the side of the bowl and the bottom was quite helpful. Seriously, I started questioning myself if flour made bread more sticky because I felt like I kept adding flour and the bread kept sticking to the bowl worse. It was laughable. Finally, I found a threshold and the dough finally cooperated.
The hearth baking was great fun this time. The cheese bubbled out and melted all over the bread and onto the stone. It looked so delicious I almost wanted to get a fork right then. The crust was crunchy but not too thick and the crumb was soft and delicious. The pockets of cheese were so delicious!
An absolute winner of a bread and such a treat to bake this bread right at the end.

One bread to go!

3 comments:

  1. Looks perfect! This is one of my very favorites, too. Congrats on being almost finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish my cheese had oozed out more like yours and the one in the book...for some reason it did not do that, but it was cheesy inside. This looks so very good...interesting about the water bits, I need to think things through more like you seem to do...I just sort of point my toes and go forward but never think why. Nice bread!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails