Saturday, February 18, 2012

BBA #40: White Bread

The fortieth bread of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is white bread.

White bread does get a bad rap. Everyone is all about whole grains right now and yet I think most can agree that there is nothing quite like a delicious piece of white bread. White bread also goes by the name milk dough because milk is the liquid used in the making process as opposed to most other breads that use water. The milk, in combination with the butter, egg, and sugar is what gives the bread that great flavor. The crumb is soft and airy and the crust crunchy and yet soft as well.

As I was eating this bread I kept asking myself what it reminded me of and it finally came to me- good old fashioned buttermilk biscuits. The kind that you want to just eat the whole pan of and save your dinner for another day.

This bread is a one day bread and thus far too easy to make! I know I'll be making this one again and next time I'll do dinner rolls!

40 breads down. 3 to go. Wow!

2 comments:

  1. This looks great. I used Variation 1 for a loaf, 2 for rolls and 3 for hamburger buns (well pulled-pork but you get the drift) and I thought that was a great use of each one. Nice to have something to play around with. I am going to go in when I finish the book and 2&3 as loaf bread and 1 as rolls/buns. So, what are you going to tackle bread-wise when you finish posting all the BBA ones?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Reinharts's Artisan book. I'd love to do some of those recipes but I'd also like to find another BBA type challenge for bread. I like the slight push and motivation it gives me. If you hear of any groups let me know!

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails