Tuesday, January 31, 2012

BBA #39: Vienna Bread

The thirty-ninth bread of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is Vienna bread. Many of the breads we love and consider great French breads and pastries actually came from Austria many years before. The big difference in these breads is that the Austrian breads utilize a little sugar, barley malt syrup, and butter. The sugar and malt syrup brown the crust faster and the butter "tenderizes the dough by coating and 'shortening' the gluten strands" as stated by Reinhart. I must admit that I still struggle to always understand all his bread language. However, having baked and tasted the bread, I think I understand what he means.

The bread was delicious. It was soft and rich. We spread ours with butter and finished it off with friends at dinner. I know we'll be making this bread again!

2 comments:

  1. This bread looks amazing. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really really really loved this bread...this is the best bread for grilled cheese sandwiches. It just toasts so nicely on the grill. I am finished with 2 of the 3 white breads, doing the third one this week, and then only 3 to go until the end!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails