Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Bento!

I have decided to have some fun with my kid's lunches and experiment with bento boxes. My sister-in-law inspired me with pics of the fun lunches she was doing for her kids.

What is bento? Another Lunch a bento food blogger has this definition:
  • Bento is a way of packing meals in a compact way in a single container. Bentos should be visually appealing and be comprised of assorted foods - smaller portions of each, but providing more variety over all.

Tidbits from wikipedia-
  • Bento is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine.
  • It is still common for Japanese homemakers to spend time and energy for their spouse, child, or themselves producing a carefully prepared lunch box
  • "Bento" originates from the Southern Song Dynasty slang term meaning "convenient".
I started looking around and could not believe how many bento food bloggers I found! There are such fun and creative ideas to experiment with! I'm just getting started and they stay to start slow and just try one thing at a time. Here are my first few attempts at doing bento boxes.
First Attempt: 
PB&J with heart sandwich cutter
snowflake and snowman cheese
peeled orange
carrot sticks
and a candy cane.

Snack Time: A bento for snack at the playground. 
Cheese bits from the leftover cheese scraps.
It's quite an orange snack isn't it!

Ham and cheese flower pressed sandwiches
thin apple slices
cucumbers on pick
and candy cane.

PB&J sushi roll sandwiches
checkerboard apple
oatmeal applesauce blueberry mini muffin (recipe post to come)
chocolate dipped marshmallows (post to come)
greek yogurt for one and orange pepper for the other

3 comments:

  1. Those are adorable! I love that checkerboard apple, how do you do that??? The PB&J sushi is cute as well...all of it so nice. I do Bento boxes for my lunches the days I sub as I fell in love with the whole idea many years ago when I was served a Bento box for lunch at a restaurant in San Francisco...just my thing, small bits of several things rather than any large thing of one item. I have a couple of Bento lunch boxes and a couple of dinner Bento boxes...the kids loved taking them to outings when they were younger (before their appetites outgrew the Bento box size! lol Please keep these posts coming so I can get some great ideas...love that apple and want to learn how to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great ideas for lunches in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a store at all near you to buy bento supplies? If not I will have to send some stuff your way! Im a total addict!! As you probably saw Im making Judy an addict too with her xmas gift!!! Also, allthingsforsale.com has lots of cute cheap stuff!

    Have fun bento-ing!

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails