Monday, November 28, 2011

Modern Baker: Blackberry Jam Sandwich with Lemon Icing

The Modern Bakers are baking cookies, bars, and biscotti from the Modern Baker cookbook and these blackberry jam sandwich cookies were a great baking project for our weekend. The dough came together too dry and I wasn't sure what to do so I just continued and put the dough in the fridge to chill as directed. When I tried to roll it out all it would do is crack and crumble in my hands. I wasn't sure what I did wrong. I called my stepmom for advice. One of her first questions, "did you use unbleached flour?". I sure did. She said she's noticed it sucks up the liquid more in her baking. She advised putting it back in the mixer with a little water. I did just that and 2 tablespoons later the dough was at a perfect consistency to roll.

Then, we began the rolling out! Charlotte and Penelope took turns rolling out with their little rolling pin too.
The cookies baked and I reduced the preserves a little in a saucepan. We had great fun filling and smashing the cookies together to make sandwiches.

The icing consisted of confectioners' sugar and lemon juice. N.M. has you cook the icing over low heat. I've never done icing over heat. I think perhaps I had the heat up too high. I was able to streak the first couple of cookies, but quickly the icing would only come out in globs and I switched to just topping them with some icing instead of streaking.
The cookies were great fun to make and yummy. The lemon cookie, blackberry filling, and lemon icing all complimented each other very nicely. A great afternoon treat!

4 comments:

  1. These look beautiful! And delicious. Jam sandwich cookies are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM...these look really tasty and festive. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! (we have the same rolling pins: perfect for kids).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails