Sunday, November 6, 2011

Cornbread Dressing with Sausage and Apples

It's time to start thinking about Thanksgiving!

My good friend Phyl  put together a Thanksgiving dinner round-up and I grabbed the stuffing! Or, dressing as many call it. I use the words interchangeably, although I'm sure to some there is a distinction between stuffing (inside bird) vs dressing (outside bird). I'm sure I've had stuffing actually stuffed in the bird at some point in my life, but for the majority of my adulthood I always remember it being cooked alongside the bird.

I found a fantastic recipe from one of my favorite sources Pioneer Woman and tweaked to my liking. If I were able I'd handle the calories, I'd love to cook my way through her cookbook!
This recipe begins with lots of bread: cornbread, french bread, and a crusty baguette! Sausage is added (I chose the use kiebalsa) along with onions and apples. If you're not a huge fan of apples in dressing, reduce to one apple. I love the extra flavor an apple brings to dressing, but I'm not a huge fan of cooked apple so, for me, two was a bit much.
Herbed chicken broth is poured over everything and then it's all baked in the oven. Oh goodness did the house smell like Thanksgiving! I almost called my whole family over for dinner. The dressing was really delicious and would compliment any Thanksgiving table.

Cornbread Dressing with Sausage and Apples
Adapted From: Pioneer Woman
Printable Recipe
Serves: 8

2 cups of cornbread cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cups of french bread cut into 1 inch cubes
2 cups of crusty baguette cut into 1 inch cubes (I like the seeded baguettes)
1/4 lb sausage (italian or kiebalsa)
1 cup onion, diced
2 granny smith apples, chopped
2 T + 1 tsp brown sugar
1/2 cup white wine
14 oz can chicken broth
1/2 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp tumeric
1 tsp rosemary leaves, minced
1/2 tsp kosher salt
pepper (to taste)
parsley, minced

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Cut up bread and combine in a large bowl.

3. In a large skillet cook sausage. Once it has browned, set it aside. Add to the skillet (without cleaning) the onion. Saute the onions for one minute. Add the apples and brown sugar to the pan. Cook until the apples are soft, about 5 minutes. To the pan add the white wine and kosher salt and let mixture bubble for about three to four minutes. Set the onion and apple mixture in another bowl.

4. Add to the skillet (without cleaning) the chicken broth, thyme, tumeric, rosemary, and any desired pepper. Let the broth warm for a few minutes.

Assembly:
5. Add the sausage and apple mixture to the bowl with the bread. Toss. Pour the warmed broth over the bread mixure. Begin by pouring half of the broth over and tossing. As you add the remaining half of broth be prepared to not add it all. Assess by tasting.

6. Pour mixture into a large baking dish and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds intriguing...what a yummy combination of flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, that looks good! Dressing is one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving, and yours looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I haven't had this combination before and I love all the ingredients so this should go on my list, right? I am never in charge of stuffing for Thanksgiving but maybe this year I should bring a little of it anyway. Nice post. Yeah, I hear you on cooking through her cookbook...it is not for the calorie-shy person, is it???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stuffing is one my favorite part of TG dinner. That looks great! I would never have combined apples with bread but this looks wonderful. Do you think it would work with ground beef (i don't eat pork)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hanaa- Yes! I think you could use ground beef and it would be delicious! You could also omit the meat all together. I've had apples in many different stuffings and liked it. Give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails