Tuesday, November 15, 2011

BBA #35: Sunflower Seed Rye

The thirty-fifth bread of Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is sunflower seed rye. Rye bread and I have had some good times and some struggles.

New York Deli Rye- good
100% Sourdough Rye- epic failure!
Pumpernickel Bread- great

This sunflower seed rye utilized a soaker, a starter, and instant yeast. With all that going for it, I was shocked when it was slow to rise. The rise took an extra hour and the proofing an extra 30-45 minutes. I was excited to learn a new shaping method. The couronne was fun to make, although now having done it once and seeing the results I know I could do it better next time! I didn't realize the hold would close up that much during baking. I need a much bigger donut hole next time!

The bread, unfortunately, was a bit gummy. I tried hard to not over-mix it as Reinhart is clear that over-mixing leads to a gummy final bread. The sunflower seeds were great and the flavor was good. It was just the texture that fell flat. The family all thought the bread was good and ate it up.

I have a whole new appreciation for rye bread now. Rye bread bakers are truly skilled bakers. I think I'll buy my rye from now on.

2 comments:

  1. you've got me feeling paranoid about baking with the rye flour I'll be getting in my bean and grain CSA :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really good, we liked this one a lot. I'm just not sure how I feel about rye yet...frustrating at times, and yet a couple of them were really good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails