Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pumpkin Seeds 3 Ways

Candied, Sugar and Spice, Cinnasweet
I'm still not sure if I like pumpkin seeds or not. Every year I get the urge to try some recipes with them when I'm carving pumpkins but in the end I never end up eating a whole lot of them. I've made the classic pumpkin seeds a number of times where you bake them and sprinkle them with salt. I prefer kosher salt.

This year I wanted to try a few recipes and hopefully finally determine if all this pumpkin seeds baking is my thing. I found three fun recipes: candied pumpkin seeds, sugar and spice pumpkin seeds, and cinnasweet pumpkin seeds. Give them a try and see for yourself!
As for me. Here's what I thought. The sugar and spice ones were only okay. The cinnasweet ones had such incredible potential but something when wrong and I burned the sugar or something and they came out black and tasting burnt. Yuck! Fail! I might retry these some time because I really think I'd like them. The candied pumpkin seeds were delicious!

Will I be baking pumpkin seeds again next year? Well, I guess you'll just have to check back and see.

Pumpkin Seeds
Adapted From: CD Kitchen

Candied Pumpkin Seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
2 Tbs orange juice

1. Combine sugar, brown sugar, paprkia and salt in a bowl.

2.Cook pumpkin seeds in a skillet over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes until puffy. Do not brown.

2. Toss seeds with orange juice. Add sugar mixture and coat seeds.

3. Spread seeds on a baking sheet and bake for 6 minutes. Cool.

Sugar and Spice Pumpkin Seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds, baked
5 tablespoons, sugar, divided
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
1 1/2 Tbs oil (peanut or canola)

1. Pumpkin seeds should have been baked for about 25 minutes prior.

2. Combine 3 Tbs of sugar, salt, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, and cayenne (if using) in a small bowl.

3. Heat oil. Add pumpkin seeds and sugar. Allow sugar to melt and carmalize seeds for about one minute.

4. Add seeds to spices and toss.

 Cinnasweet Pumpkin Seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1 Tbs butter
 2 tsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
dash of salt
1 Tbs sugar

1. Combine butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Toss with seeds and coat. Spread on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes at 350. 

2. Remove from oven. Toss with the 1 Tbs of sugar. Return to oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. Cool.

2 comments:

  1. Those all look great...I have yet to make roasted pumpkin seeds in all these years, maybe this year is the time to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post--you can take credit for getting me to actually make pumpkin seeds this year. I wonder what other squash seeds are yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails