Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pumpkin Fries

My friend Phyl is hosting a Pumpkin Roundup today and asked me to participate!

I wanted to find something that my kids would try and hopefully like. Pumpkin Fries! (See my next post for the Pumpkin Curry Soup recipe.)
While apple picking we picked up a small pumpkin from a local farm. I knew I needed to peel the pumpkin and actually pulled out my peeler. After three swipes at the pumpkin I realized it was a lost cause. I'd be here all year if I had to peel the pumpkin with my almost-dull peeler. I highly recommend using a knife to slice the skin off.
Once that was done, I opened the pumpkin up and cleaned it out. Stay tuned for pumpkin seed recipes soon!
I then sliced the pumpkin into thin strips. My best advice here is do the best you can and keep thinking "french fry" as you slice and try to get all the fries similar in size.
Spicy Seasonings, Cinnamon Seasonings, and Herb Seasonings
I wanted to try a few seasoning options. I chose three: Spicy, Cinnamon, and Herb.
Left: Spicy Fries. Top Right: Herb Fries. Bottom Right: Cinnamon Fries
I baked the fries for about 40 minutes. The spicy fries turned out a little blah. I was reducing the recipe proportions for a smaller batch which led me to only use a "dash" of cayenne. I was also cooking for kids and didn't want them too spicy. In the end they were too spicy for one kid but didn't pack much punch for the grown ups. Next time, use more cayenne and make something else for the kids! The herb fries were good, although I'm not sure I'd do them again.

The star of the dinner was the cinnamon fries. They were really really good and kids asked for third helpings of them.

Thanks for the great challenge Phyl!

Pumpkin Fries
Printable Recipe

Recipe proportions are for 1/3 of a pumpkin.

1 small pumpkin
Olive Oil

Spicy Fries
Adapted From: Aaplemint
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
Pinch cayenne
Pinch black pepper

Cinnamon Fries
Adapted From: Sarah's Cucina Bella
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Herb Fries
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp parsley

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Peel pumpkin. I found it easiest to use a knife to cut the skin off rather than a peeler. Open pumpkin and clean out. Cut pumpkin into fry strips.

3. Prepare fry seasonings. Again, recipe proportions are for 1/3rd of a small pumpkin. If only making one kind of fry, increase seasoning proportions.

4. Toss fries and seasonings with olive oil (about 1 Tbs).

5. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Wow...I am not a pumpkin fan and yet I want to try these right now!! What a great idea...might have to revisit this whole not-liking-pumpkin thing as maybe I do like it after all...these could be the turn-around! Going to try the pumpkin curry soup as well as I love curry. That top photo is just so inviting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh, pumpkin fries! What a great idea! My kids hate potatoes and potato fries (weirdos), but I'd bet they'd love these cinnamon fries. I'm going to try those this week (and the spicy ones for hubby, too!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails