Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pumpkin Curry Soup

My friend Phyl is hosting a Pumpkin Roundup today and asked me to participate!

I just posted about my pumpkin fries and have one more recipe to share. I found this recipe while perusing my new obsession- Pinterest. My good friend Sarah got me hooked and now I'm finding myself pinning when I should be getting dinner made, getting out the door on a run, or getting myself to bed!

Have you heard of Pinterest? (It's pronounced- pin-terest. Like the words pin and interest put together.) It's a bit hard to explain. It's sort of like visual bookmarks. You create boards (think of a corkboard on your wall at home) and then you can "pin" images onto it. Now instead of ripping pages out of magazines to pin up, you're pinning photos/images from the web. You can have many different boards and you can see and interact with your friends and what they're pinning. The pin connects back to the original website, so you can pin a beautiful photo that just makes you happy, or you can pin a great craft idea or recipe and when you want to go back to it the pin will take you back to the original site. Like I said- visual bookmark.

But, back to the soup! I saw this great recipe for pumpkin curry soup and had to try it. The weather has just turned enough that the days are beautiful but the idea of pumpkin and cinnamon are so exciting.
The ingredients. Quite simple.
Have I mentioned how much I love my food processor. Mincing onion is oh so easy!!
The resulting soup was just okay. It wasn't bad at all, but it just lacked a little something for me. It didn't knock my socks off I guess. If you like pumpkin and curry give it a try. I could easily see others loving it. I have some leftover and am thinking of ways to add a little kick to it. It's kind of a fun culinary experiment for me.



Pumpkin Curry Soup
Adapted From:  Sophistimom
Printable Recipe


1 small onion, minced
1 Tbs olive oil
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp cumin
1 large can (28 ounces) pumpkin puree
4 cups (32oz) low sodium chicken broth
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
1 cup apple cider
yogurt (optional)
cilantro (optional)

1. In a large pot set over medium heat, saute onions in oil until tender, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in garlic and spices and cook for a minute more.

2. Stir in the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes. Taste soup and decide if pureeing with an immersion blender is needed. (Depends on preference of onion size.)

3. Serve with cilantro and a dollop of plain yogurt.

2 comments:

  1. It looks delicious and pretty. I love having the recipe as intended and making it and then adding my own kicks to it in the ways that we like here, so thanks for the recipe. I might need to give this a try because all those flavors are ones we love and the nutritional benefits of pumpkin make this very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Renee, I know you've had mixed enthusiasm for pumpkin soups. I also find them to be often too sweet or too reminiscent of pumpkin pie and I wanted to share with you a recipe that gets around this problem by combining pumpkin with beans. I can highly recommend it:
    http://fairmountmarket.blogspot.com/2011/10/pumpkin-and-rio-zape-bean-soup.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails