Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Hearty Navy Bean Soup

My mother-in-law had us over for dinner the other night and made a ham. The weather has just turned to fall and a ham was in order. I was lucky enough to walk away with quite a bit of ham for leftovers. As I contemplated what to do with them, all I could think about was soup. It's time to get soups going again! The weather is perfect for it.

I found some navy beans in my cupboard and decided a navy bean ham soup would be on the menu this week. As I mentioned I was lucky enough to walk away with a lot of ham, but not the hock. My mother-in-law kept it and I'm sure is stirring up a pot of her delicious split pea soup tonight.

It took a bit of work but I finally found a navy bean recipe that didn't call for a ham hock, just cut up ham. I figured I could just use stock instead of a hock, but I was hoping others out there had a solid recipe for those in my predicament. I stitched together four navy bean recipes to create the recipe below. It was so delicious!

Hearty Navy Bean Soup
Printable Recipe

2 cups navy beans, dried
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp garlic
6 stalks celery, chopped
Dozen+ baby carrots, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups cut ham
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
1 tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme

1. Soak beans the night before. The rule is 2 cups of water to 1 cup of beans, so this recipe would call for 4 cups of water and 2 cups of dried beans. Let sink on counter until ready.

2. When you're ready to start the soup drain the beans.

3. In a large pot saute the onion and garlic in a little olive oil until the onion is translucent. Add the celery and carrots and saute together for a few moments.

4. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious. I am all about the soups in cool and cold weather, and this one looks really good. Sometimes I think I make a ham just so I can have the bits and hock for soups!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails