Sunday, October 2, 2011

Cherry Cranberry Crisp

One last bag of frozen cherries in the freezer. Personally handpicked berries from my parents cherry tree I must add. A small amount of leftover cranberries from an earlier recipe. And, a desire to make a healthier dessert. This all came together to make a wonderful dish.

I experimented by not putting any sugar in the filling. I tend to like tart things and saw no reason to sweeten up the filling. The combination of cherries and cranberries was fantastic and I didn't miss the sugar at all. Is there a baking reason for putting sugar in filling or is it simply to sweeten things up?
Cherry Cranberry Crisp
Printable Recipe
Topping
3/4 c old fashioned oats
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
4 Tbs butter, melted

Filling
4 cups cherries, thawed
1/2 c cranberries
2 Tbs flour

1. Combine the topping ingredients in a bowl until they are wet and crumbly.

2. Combine the filling ingredients in a bowl.

3. Place the filling ingredients into an 8x8 oiled pan. Sprinkle the crumble topping on top of the filling.  Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. looks delicious! I wish we had some frozen cherries in our freezer, but didn't make it cherry picking this year. Maybe one could make this with pears and cranberries for a fall dessert?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sugar: mostly only for sweetening. Occa helps thicken.... and other things can also thicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of fruit desserts, so this looks great. I would have thought you'd need sugar with two tart fruits, but I'm glad it worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails