Thursday, October 20, 2011

Applesauce

I don't like applesauce. I've never really liked it. Except for my grandma's applesauce. I don't know what it was about her applesauce but I straight up refused the store bought stuff my whole childhood. My children won't eat applesauce either. Aren't kids supposed to love it? Is it because they don't see me eating it? I've even tried telling them it's "apple yogurt" to no avail.
Why make applesauce? Well, because I had to do something with all the apples we picked. The girls had the best time apple picking! The ladies at the farm were so nice to direct me to the apple trees where the girls could pick themselves and one farmer stopped his tractor so the girls could see all the pumpkins he was carting and let them sit on his tractor!
So, here I am with a pile of apples! I might as well learn how to make applesauce. Perhaps my kids would prefer the homemade kind and if nothing else I can use it in muffin recipes this winter.
Applesauce can sound a bit intimidating, but it's beyond simple. When I called my mom for my grandma's recipe (see below), I thought she was being a bit difficult because the recipe was basically non-existent.

My Grandma's Recipe:
Get some windfallen apples. Cook them until they're soft. Add some cinnamon and sugar.

But, now having made applesauce- there really isn't a whole lot to it.
Did the kids eat it? No. But I'll sneak it into their muffins soon enough. I had some and it was oh so delicious! I used prime red apples for this batch.

Applesauce
My Grandma's Recipe:
Get some windfallen apples. Cook them until they're soft. Add some cinnamon and sugar.

My Recipe:
12 apples
2 cups of water
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar

1. Cook apples in water until soft.
2. Puree apples in food processor.
3. Add cinnamon and sugar.

4 comments:

  1. We love applesauce!! This all looks great, but I am especially enjoying the photo of C&P in the orchard, so precious! You can sneak applesauce in all sorts of things! My kids would inhale it but they would not eat peanut butter...who doesn't eat peanut butter as a kid??? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally reminds me of my mother-in-law's applesauce recipe (which my son LOVES). She almost got irritated with me when I kept asking for specifics..."How much cinnamon? How much sugar?" She'd say, "Just taste it! Some! It depends on the apples!" ;) Love the pic of your girls...apple picking is so fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails