Thursday, September 15, 2011

BBA #32: 100% Sourdough Rye Bread

Epic failure alert!!!

The thirty-second bread of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is 100% sourdough rye bread. This bread is a three time failure for me and I give up!!

My first attempt at this bread resulted in unrising dough. I had used dark rye flour though instead of white rye flour because that's all I could find in the bulk section. I was quite disheartened and even let my dough rise for an additional 8 hours but it had no umph.

For my second attempt I bought some light rye flour from Bob Mills but halved the recipe because those little packages are spendy! The dough did rise but the resulting bread was flat (like the bread above) and gummy. The texture was extremely off putting.

I had enough light rye flour leftover to attempt the bread one last time. I re-read Reinharts instructions carefully and noted he warned to not over knead or the bread would become gummy. I tried. I failed. The resulting bread was flat again (why??!!) and less gummy but still gummy. The flavor was decent but I couldn't decide if the overall flavor was being carried by the caraway seeds in the bread or if the bread actually tasted good. Regardless, the bread was still a flop.

Unlike with the sourdough bread, I have no need to perfect this bread. I'm letting it go and moving on.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! It happens--you really can say you gave it an honest try though. Who knows--I could never manage the ciabatta from his book. Some breads just don't seem to want to work for you, even when they do for everyone else. Meanwhile, I will go peruse your cupcakes, they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had such a problem with this bread, I nearly gave up bread-making because of it as it was just so discouraging. I was so happy to get out of the sourdough section. You are catching up to me!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails