Thursday, August 4, 2011

BBA #29: Pugliese

The twenty-ninth bread of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is pugliese. This bread is inspired by the region in southeastern Italy. It is very similar to ciabatta. I was thrilled when I read this. I didn't read the intro to this bread before baking it. After I made it, I thought it really reminded me of ciabatta. When I read that it is very similar to cibatta I was so excited! I must be doing something right in this bread baking! My bread tasted like cibatta!
This is a wet dough to work with and this time I really enjoyed it. Reinhart lists using fancy durum flour. I tried two stores, one an upscale grocery store, and I couldn't find any. I opted to just use all bread flour for the bread. I'm curious how the durum flour would alter the bread though.

My scoring marks weren't very clean again. I need one of those lame tools. Again, my holes are not even close to what Reinhart shows in his picture. How do you get those great big holes? The flavor of the bread was great and the crust was deliciously crunchy. I'm liking the hearth baked breads and the crusts that result from hearth baking.
I made a full batch of this bread but didn't have a lot of time this week to eat two loaves. The bread was getting a bit dried out and I was trying to think of a creative way to use it up. Hello french toast!

2 comments:

  1. Looks great! We loved this bread, I need to make this one again soon. You are catching up to me...I am through the sourdough section and I have vowed not to turn that oven on until the weather turns as not only am I not in a bread making mood in the summer, we don't eat much bread in the summer either for some reason. I'll fire up again come fall. Or maybe I might make this one again and use it for French Toast on Sunday. Yours looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely perfect looking bread! I could go for a couple of slices right now!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails