Friday, July 1, 2011

Modern Baker: Roman Almond & Pine Nut Tart

Hello, Modern Bakers and friends. It's time for more sweet tarts and pies from The Modern Baker cookbook. The problem with being a bit behind my fellow Modern Bakers is that they have all this time to entice me to deviate from my carefully selected recipes. I'm past thinking I can bake every recipe so I only pick the "must bake". This wasn't a recipe I initially intended to do. Then, Kayte declared it her "favorite of the book". Well, I have to try that!

One of the reasons I was hesitant to try this recipe was because I'd have to buy a whole can of almond paste even though I'd only need 1/4 of it. (I make 1/4 recipes that fit into two 4 1/2'' tarts. It saves the waistline and allows me to enjoy trying more of the tarts.) First of all, I had to find the almond paste! I'd never even heard of it. I was lucky. There was a stocker in the baking aisle as I went down and she knew just where it was. Good thing. I never would have found it on my own.

After acquiring almond paste, the rest of the recipe is quite start forward using sugar, eggs, butter, vanilla, lemon zest, and flour. The tart is then topped with pine nuts and finished with powdered sugar.
It was absolutely delicious! A perfect tart I could make over and over again. Thank you Kayte for the push! Unfortunately, there was one issue with my tart. I think my pine nuts were bad. As soon as I took a bite I thought, "Hmm, those don't taste right." I googled and came across Nicole at PinchMySalt experience with pine nuts. I found over and over that pine nuts are very finicky nuts that go rancid quickly. Most sites said you "just know" when they're bad. Yeah, I just knew.

4 comments:

  1. Both almond paste and pine nuts go in the freezer here as I don't ever use them all up in one recipe. Happy to hear you liked the tart...it's hard to explain to someone, isn't it? Hard to explain that it is a little sweet, but not too sweet, a nice little texture with the mix between the filling and the nuts and the crust so you get a satisfied feeling of having more with less because of all that going on...hard to explain, just have to make it and eat and think "that was good, maybe I will have just a wee bit more" to lead you to the conclusion that this one is a keeper! Yours look lovely...minis are such a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad about the pine nuts, especially considering how pricey they are. Mine live in the fridge.

    I loved this one too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep my nuts in the freezer too. Nothing is worse than biting into a rancid nut.

    This tart looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once cooked something with canola oil and it was rancid. What a sad experience.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails