Monday, July 4, 2011

Modern Baker: Maida's Big Apple Pie

Here's another recipe from the sweet tarts and pies section of The Modern Baker cookbook. My Modern Baker friends and I will be enjoying one more month in this section before moving on to puff pastry!

Apple Pie! The perfect American recipe to celebrate our country's birth!
I had about 1/2 a recipe of the sweet tart dough remaining from some tart baking. I decided to roll it out and make Maida's big apple pie with it. I made 1/4 recipe of the filling and it filled the dough nicely. Unfortunately, I wasn't very careful with my dough and it tore a bit as I put it together. That caused the apple juices to seep and burn to my silpat during baking. Luckily, this didn't effect the pie except for the juice loss. (If you don't own a silpat I HIGHLY recommend them. See that burned sugar mess? Well, it cleaned up in minutes with little effort. Had that burned to the actual pan I would have had hours of soaking to do and possibly lost the pan.)
This pie was plenty big at 1/4 the recommended recipe. I can't imagine how big it would be if you'd make a whole recipe, but I'm sure it would be perfect for a big party! The crust and filling were great. It's a fantastic apple pie and a great option for those worried about pretty edges on a pie. My pie edges are not very pretty. I've actually turned the "pies" in this section into "tarts" and used my tart pans partly to avoid the pie edge issue. There are none of those worries with this pie. It looks pretty even though it's simply folding the dough and letting it fall where it may.
Happy 4th of July!!

3 comments:

  1. How rustic and delicious this looks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had my eye on this one. I too went to the Modern Baker for 4th of July, but I broke the rules and skipped to the cake section...post coming, someday, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know the measurements on that, I was wondering what size I would make. Yours looks really great, what fun it would be to sit down to that. Between you and me, I am scared to death of the next section with puff pastry. Yep, confession time. I still have a few to do in this section, after seeing yours, I am thinking this should be my next one. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails