Sunday, July 24, 2011

BBA #28: Potato Rosemary Bread

The twenty-eighth bread of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is potato rosemary bread. Twenty eight breads and I've found my favorite. Any bread from here on out has quite high standards to surpass.

This is a two day bread. One day one the biga is made. One day two the biga is combined with bread flour, salt, pepper, yeast, olive oil, mashed potatoes, and fresh rosemary. I added a bit too much water at the start and thought I'd corrected the stickiness with flour, but after the first rise, the bread super sticky to handle. I quickly made the boules and laid them on my silpat for rise #2. I just hoped for the best as at this point I wasn't sure I should knead more flour into the bread.

The two boules rose into each other a bit. Oops. Bad spatial estimation on my part. I popped them in the oven and the house smelled absolutely incredible as they baked. We brought the bread over to my in-laws for dinner and everyone loved it. In fact, we all decided to have a second piece of bread in place of dessert.
I will absolutely be making this bread again as it's my all time favorite bread from this book so far!!

I just received Peter Reinhart's next book Artisan Breads Everyday for my birthday. I'm so excited to try it out!! Hey BBAers is there an ABE group?

4 comments:

  1. Renee
    I loved this bread and the multigrained extraordinaire. I actually have a few favs, but this one I have probably made more than any others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We really liked this one, too. I'm not sure if it made the top 5, but it was really close. I don't know of an ABED group, but I LOVE the recipes from that book! It is the book I turn to more than any other when I'm baking a bread (not for a Challenge). And happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took this to a family gathering and it was a real hit! Nice that they rose so well (even if more than you expected...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved, loved, loved this one. Yours looks great, and I secretly really think it's fun when they grow together, sort of like they are kissing and just can't stay apart. Awwww....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails