Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Deceptively Delicious Spring

I have thumbed through Jessica Seinfeld's Deceptively Delicious cookbook a number of times. I was intrigued with the concept and yet I wondered if I had the time. The concept: puree vegetables and fruits and then sneak a 1/2 cup or so of a puree into everyday dishes your kids eat. Your kids get their vegetables and you lessen the guilt and stress around food.
My girls are 3 and 18 months. Up until 6 months ago I didn't think we had much of a food issue in the house. Charlotte (3) ate everything. Then, she turned 3 and started having LOTS of opinions. To be fair she really does do a good job with food, but she's definitely shying away from things she used to eat with gusto- like vegetables.

I decided to give some of the Deceptively Delicious recipes a try. What could it hurt and I was interested in expanding my repertoire of basic kid-friendly foods. I might love to give scallops and beef daube a try, but the kids really aren't going to eat much- yet. I do serve it to them. I just don't insist they eat it. I'm all about exposure with occasional pressure to taste new things.

I wasn't completely sold on the whole concept. I never made my own baby food- too much work. Would this be a lot of work? But, the first time I served a dish- the french toast- and I watched the girls gobble down their french toast knowing they were getting a serving of vegetables- I was secretly thrilled.

I didn't plan to blog each post or post the recipes. Instead, I thought I'd just give a little summary of what I tried this spring and what we thought.

French Toast- butternut squash puree. Kids- Loved it. Me-Loved it!
 
Scrambled Eggs- cauliflower puree. Kids- Loved it. Me-meh.
Mac and Cheese 1- butternut squash puree. Who knew 3 year olds already know that mac and cheese must be elbow pasta. Charlotte already declared the dish wrong upon sight. I was trying to use up the pasta I had. Mistake. I'll try again with elbow pasta.
Banana Bread- cauliflower puree. I didn't bake it long enough so it wasn't cooked through and it didn't rise. Flop! However, the girls had helped me make it and kept pestering me for some. I tore off pieces of the top and they loved it.
Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins- cauliflower puree. OMG! Why on earth would I ever make banana bread again when I could make these muffins? Utterly Fantastic!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued. I think it's important to encourage young eaters to eat vegetables straight, but there's no harm in also incorporating vegetables into other dishes. For my kids, they much prefer vegetables when they get to pick them out themselves at the farmers market, and most vegetables they prefer raw over cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Karen. This isn't a substitute for vegetables but just a way to get a bit more in. I also like that the recipes seem a bit healthier. I'd love to find some muffin recipes I'm happy to make over and over instead of some of my muffin recipes that are really cupcakes masquerading as muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this book tucked up in a cupboard somewhere, never needed it for Ewan cuz he loves veges and fruits. Kenzie on the other hand..... NOT SO MUCH! Glad you reminded of this and gave me some inspiration to get off my butt and cook some of the recipes!

    Can't wait to see you in July!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this book too - but I haven't used it in a couple years. I do recall the peanut butter banana muffins though - and I agree, they were delicious! I'm looking for a mac and cheese recipe right now and your picture looks fabulous. I'll have to remember to pick up a butternut squash next time. Feeding kids can be a real challenge, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to read about your trials with this book, by the time it came out, my boys were not having food issues, other than "keep it coming." LOL...teenage boys start young like this. They have their quirks, but few and far between these days. They would not, and still do not, eat peanut butter...what's with that??? I thought all kids ate peanut butter and it was a mother's staple. Weird. I always have it, as I like to eat it...none of the guys do, so I get my own small jar! Great post, loved reading about it all. Thinking that extra veggies might not be a bad idea for even the big guys on occasion.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails