Monday, June 20, 2011

BBA #26: Poolish Baguettes

The twenty-sixth bread of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is poolish baguettes. At the beginning of the book Reinhart talks about his culinary students. Some students come of his bread making class and never fully learn the art of bread making. Others come and become entranced with the delicate balance of flour, yeast, and time. I had hoped I'd be a student that would become engrossed in the science of bread. I have not. That is not to say that I am not thoroughly enjoying this challenge and plan to continue bread baking beyond this book. I simply say it to explain why I am not quite sure how this baguette is different from the other baguettes I've made.

I should stop for a moment and explain that this bread was fantastic. I took the baguettes to a family dinner and got tons of compliments. The crust was wonderfully crunchy, but perhaps a bit undercooked. I appreciate crunchy crust so much more now! The center was soft and dough-like. It was a delicious baguette!
One mistake I made was that I did not score them quite like I should have. I was experimenting. I took a sharp knife and only pressed it into the dough instead of sliding it. It didn't give the bread the nice score marks like I've done before.

Yes, this bread was great and I could see myself making it again. However, if I decided to make baguettes one day, I'm not sure what would draw me to this recipe over any of the other wonderful baguette recipes in this book. There is another layer of bread making I'm just not seeing yet- the subtle differences.

3 comments:

  1. I liked it too, but I would use the Pain a l'Ancienne recipe. I think on that one I could really taste the slow cold fermentation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too preferred the Pain a l'ancienne. However, I think one day we should all get together in a gigantic kitchen and bake a lot of these breads at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all loved this bread, too. I cannot do those slashes right ever...I got a lame recently and I still can't do it right. Something to work on. Your bread is beautiful, inside and out!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails