Monday, May 2, 2011

Modern Baker: Bittersweet Chocolate Tart

Here is my official Modern Baker recipe post for the sweet tarts! This bittersweet chocolate tart is phenomenal. It's dense and rich and the crust is sweet and crunchy like a perfect cookie. This tart is so delicious, however the richness requires a large gathering. I would be amazed at the person who could eat more than one piece in a day.

The tart begins with a press-in-cookie dough crust. It's made much like cookie dough by mixing butter, sugar, vanilla, and an egg yolk in a mixer.
After stirring in the flour I pressed the dough into my tart pan. Honestly, this was quite a process. I should have listened to Phyl and chilled the dough for a bit. The more I pressed the warmer the dough got and my fingers would slide right though the dough making holes in it.
I took the slow and steady approach and after about 8 minutes I had the tart dough nicely covering my pan. Into the oven it went.
As the crust was baking, I started melting the bittersweet chocolate in a pan.
Yes, I dipped my finger in to make sure the chocolate was acceptable. It passed.
Then, I set the chocolate aside to cool.
I simmered the cream and corn syrup and slowly added it to the cooled chocolate.
And, whisked.
Until smooth.
Finally, I whisked in the ingredient that makes all recipes better- the butter.
Poured it into the cooled crust.
And, popped it into the refrigerator to set.
I served mine with heaping whip cream and some shaved chocolate. Delicious!

6 comments:

  1. Looks just beautiful, Renee! I enjoyed your process photos. We loved this one soooo much, especially with a good dollop of whipped cream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness. This looks like an amazing pie, especially since my favorite is chocolate French silk. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tart looks amazing! I love the fresh whipped cream and chocolate shavings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great process photos...always fun to see those. The guys loved this tart...they want me to make it again this weekend, so I think I can probably be talked into that. The topping looks lovely, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! Your photos look fabulous. I definitely want to make this one but think I should wait till there's enough people around to enjoy it. It looks dangerous!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails