Monday, May 16, 2011

Martha Stewart Cupcakes: Tiramisu Cupcakes

For May the Martha Stewart Cupcake group is baking tiramisu cupcakes. I love tiramisu. It is easily one of my favorite desserts and last year for the Daring Bakers I made tiramisu from scratch. I was so excited about these cupcakes and sadly they fell hugely short.

First of all, Martha- I appreciate you and all- but you are just evil sometimes. You want me to split a vanilla bean and simmer it in milk. What is so wrong with vanilla extract?? That step, yes I did it, was just a bit over the top for me this week.

Confession. I don't know how to make coffee. (I don't like coffee. Ironically, I often like light coffee flavors in desserts, but never as a beverage.)  I called my husband for help. He wasn't available. I winged it. Turns out I make a sad weak cup of coffee.

The cupcake wasn't that exciting on it's own. My coffee syrup flavoring was tasteless and I didn't like the mascapone whip cream topping. I'm not sure what went wrong here. Perhaps it was the type of mascapone I purchased, but it was way too cheesy for the dessert. Mascapone is usually light. This still tasted a bit grassy. Grass and whip cream do not mix!
This one was a failure at our house.

8 comments:

  1. At least they look pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so delicious! I was planning on making Martha's tiramisu ice cream cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! They still look good. But you're right - I like my whipped cream without grass, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so funny because I was actually looking for MORE cheese flavor in mine! I don't drink coffee either (OK, except for maybe a Starbucks Caramel Vanilla latte with like 7 pumps of syrup!) but, fortunately, my Keurig coffee maker makes a perfect cup! Thanks for baking with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry they didn't work out. They do look really nice. I also can't make coffee, but I think I made mine too strong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cupcakes may not have danced but you might! I've nominated you for a versatile blogger award! Check it out on my site!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry these didn't work out for you. I liked them, but I thought for the amount of work, I'd rather make regular tiramisu. They do look delicious though...thanks for baking with me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look very pretty and soft and elegant. I can't make coffee either...I think you have to actually like coffee and be a coffee drinker to make good coffee...same with chocolate anything. I fail on both accounts. I have to rely on good recipes because I'm not tasting either to see how they do because if I did I would just go "yuck." LOL. Your cupcakes look pretty. I fell off the MSC bandwagon, maybe I should get back on for this month. Maybe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails