Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Aspen Power Bars

Charlotte's best friend moved.... right down the street from us!
We brought them some welcome treats on moving day!
I omitted the powdered milk (none in the house) and the raisins (you know why). I was warned to cut the bars right after cooling as my friend had trouble getting them out of the pan. I think I cut them a bit too early and some bars came out but I also ended up more granola pieces than bars. It was still delicious- just not as pretty. So be warned, I think there is a window between too warm and will crumble and too cooled and stuck together.

Thanks for the recipe Katharine!

Aspen Power Bars
1 3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup + 2 Tbs light brown sugar
Heaping ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
½ tsp kosher salt
¾ cup nuts or sunflower seeds
¾ cup powdered milk
½ cup raisins (optional)
½ cup dried cranberries
3 Tbs butter
¼ cup honey
½ cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 Tbs raspberry jam

1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.

2. In a large bowl, mix together the oats, brown sugar, coconut, salt, nuts, powdered milk, raisins, and cranberries.

3. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat.  Stir in the honey, peanut butter, vanilla extract and jam until melted and fully incorporated.  Remove from heat.

4. Pour the melted ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until fully mixed.

5. Press the mixture into the pan, compressing as much as possible . (Lay some plastic wrap over the top and then press down on the mixture.  It doesn’t stick and keeps your hands clean!)  Bake until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.  Let cool before cutting into bars.

5 comments:

  1. Mmm power bars! Love the welcome note :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just printed out your recipe! I have a go-to granola bar recipe that we love, but we got a little tired of them and I stopped making them. I was just thinking this past weekend that I should find a new recipe to try...this one looks and sounds like just the thing! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds tasty (I missed out on the ones Katharine made). I wonder if lining the baking dish with parchment paper might help with the sticking problem?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely adorable! Go ahead, Charlotte! Do your thang! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look good...and just a wonderful welcome gift. How cool that Charlotte's playmate lives down the street...that will be no end of convenience over the years! (BTW, I am officially caught up on blog reading/commenting over here...thanks for the wonderful reads!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails