Friday, April 1, 2011

{FFwD} Quinoa, Fruit and Nut Salad

Another French Friday's with Dorie Friday here! This week's salad is a quinoa, fruit, and nut salad. I like quinoa but never think to use it. I really enjoy quinoa in summer salads like this one. Overall, I really liked this dish. However, if I were to make it again I'd cut the fruit in half (I used only cranberries, no raisins!) and increase the herbs and lemon juice. The portion size seems a bit off to me. It says it feeds 4 and yet I feel like I have servings for 8!

Going back to the fruit issue again. What is it with people and putting fruit in things?? Raisins especially. My husband says that some people like the blending of all the flavors in a fruit salad. Seriously? I consider the fruit in fruit salad to be "infecting each other". I also consider raisins to be the worst infectors of all because people put them in everything! I was trying to find a new granola cereal the other day and over half had raisins! I found out I wasn't so alone in this after Yummy Chunklet posted, Sorry, raisins, you'll get not love here. Yep raisins, you'll get no love from me either.

6 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! I can't even tell you how much resistance I've gotten (in real life) from friends who love raisins in everything. But, I stand my ground! And now they bring dishes without raisins just for me. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raisins have their place... in breakfast cereal, and my grandma's bread pudding! I have learned to use the golden raisins in the two Dorie recipes that called for them, but begrudgingly. I halved the recipe and got four full servings too. Left the dressing proportions intact, though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used lots of fruit (sorry) but no raisins. My beautiful dried fruit mix didn't have any raisins in it, and I didn't feel the need to add anyting else. I loved the fruit in this salad, as well as the herbs. This is definitely one you could play around with -- more of this, less of that -- to get it just how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does seem like we have been using a lot of dried fruit lately...
    I can do golden raisins at this point in my life, but to this day if some thing has dark raisins (or shredded coconut), I have to either pick it out or turn it away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your shot. The composition is great, especially with the green spoon tucked in. We really liked this salad too (although I have no issues with all the fruit)...and I agree, it made a LOT! Had it for lunch for days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a few things that I'll eat with raisins, but not many. I've deconstructed many a bran muffin to get rid of those pesky things.

    Your salad looks good - the tartness of the cranberries goes well with savoury flavours.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails