Thursday, April 28, 2011

{FFwD} Bistrot Paul Bert Pepper Steak

French Friday's with Dorie is taking on steak this week. This is my first ever steak too! Dorie specifies using Sarawak pepper and filet mignon. Sorry, Dorie. I used the bulk peppercorns and the much much cheaper sirloin.
Where is my mortar and pestle??? I searched and searched the kitchen and finally resorted to banging the peppercorns in a ziploc with a frying pan. It worked!
Wow, steak is pretty darn easy! I must admit that I was totally intimidated. Remember, until last year I didn't really even know how to cook chicken.
I cooked the steaks and then there was the big decision to make. Do I flame the brandy or just cook it down? I decided to go for it and flame it. My husband was at the ready with the fire extinguisher. There was a HUGE flame and then high flames off the pan for quite awhile. I didn't panic but it did take me by surprise how intense the initial flaming was. My husband was teasing me that I almost burned down the house. I'm not sure I need to relive flaming brandy anytime soon, but it was a fun experience to have had.

The resulting steak and sauce was delicious. We don't eat much beef at our house, but I do still like steak and for my first steaks I did a pretty good job. Perhaps slightly overdone only. The peppercorns were great! I was afraid it would be too overpowering with pepper, but it wasn't. And, the sauce was the perfect compliment. A huge hit for dinner for sure!

18 comments:

  1. Renee, oh those steaks do look gorgeous and near perfection. And amazing as it was your first time cooking steak too! The first time I made it, the steak knife went all bent when we tried to cut into the meat...it was that tough! Haha. I would've loved to have seen some pics on that flame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your first steaks...I'm sure they won't be your last :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first steak (that worked out) too! I love your flames! So glad it worked out for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not bad for your first steak, flaming Brandy and all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun to have success on firsts. Glad the flame was under control and that your hubby is there to support you...looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you flamed the brandy - that sounded fun, but I was a little too nervous to go that route :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad to hear that this recipe worked out with sirloin. I'll probably use that cut the next time because filet mignon is a bit pricey! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job on the steaks! I am sure the drama of the flaming brandy was a site to behold...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, they look delicious! You can just see how rich that sauce is! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No longer a steak virgin huh? :) You will make these again and again as they are so simple and impressive. They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you had fun lighting up the alcohol! I didn't even try it, mine evaporated very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow- I can't believe that you captured a photo of the flame ! I was not only too chicken to even try it, I got a bit startled when the cognac made a lot of noise as I added it to the pan. Nice to know that it worked well with the sirloin, since my guys have a much better chance of seeing a replay on this sooner if we don't select filet mignon :) Unless I can get Nana to make it for us.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the steaks and the flaming cognac, looks like a wonderful dinner and experience, congrats;-)
    I think this recipe would work well with different steaks and it's good to see how well your sirloin steak turned out;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I went with sirloin too. It was delicious. I was hoping for a bigger flame with the brandy, but it was fun anyway! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe I'll try this with sirloin, good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sirloin is a wonderful cut, too. You were braver than I - there was no way I was going to flame the cognac!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on a delicious looking meal and on not burning down your house!

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look really good, it looks like you have been doing this forever! What's not to love about a recipe that encourages you to set things on fire on purpose???!!!! This will be repeated here occasionally as the guys loved it...I need to find some other uses for that sauce as it was so good.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails