Picky Palate. I'm all for recipes that are semi-homemade. This cake uses a box cake mix but also incorporates sour cream and instant pudding. The cream cheese frosting was a cinch too.
18 months old going on 3.
Adapted From: Picky Palate
1 Box White Cake Mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
8 oz sour cream or plain yogurt
1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
Food Coloring or Decorating Paste (red, yellow, blue green)
2- 8oz pkgs softened cream cheese
2 sticks softened butter
2 lbs powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the cake mix, oil, water, sour cream, eggs and pudding mix until well combined; about 2 minutes. Divide batter evenly into 4 bowls. Add a tiny amount of food coloring to each bowl to create a pastel color. Once mixed, pour each colored batter into well greased 9 inch cake pans (4 total). Bake for 15-17 minutes or until cakes are cooked through. Cakes will be thin.
3. Once cooled completely, remove from pans and stack on top of each other. Take a long sharp knife and cut an egg shape. Once cut, place each individual layer of cake onto wax paper.
4. To prepare frosting- beat cream cheese and butter until well combined. Slowly beat in powdered sugar until desired consistency.
5. Frost and stack each layer as you go. Decorate!