Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Egg Layered Cake

It's Easter! And, Penelope's 1/2 Birthday!
The perfect cake for both occasions!
I saw this delicious cake on Picky Palate. I'm all for recipes that are semi-homemade. This cake uses a box cake mix but also incorporates sour cream and instant pudding. The cream cheese frosting was a cinch too.
Smiles and giggles!
18 months old going on 3.
 Easter Egg Layered Cake
Adapted From: Picky Palate
Printable Recipe

1 Box White Cake Mix
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
8 oz sour cream or plain yogurt
4 eggs
1 small box instant vanilla pudding mix
Food Coloring or Decorating Paste (red, yellow, blue green)

Frosting
2- 8oz pkgs softened cream cheese
2 sticks softened butter
2 lbs powdered sugar

1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Mix the cake mix, oil, water, sour cream, eggs and pudding mix until well combined; about 2 minutes.  Divide batter evenly into 4 bowls.  Add a tiny amount of food coloring to each bowl to create a pastel color.  Once mixed, pour each colored batter into well greased 9 inch cake pans (4 total).  Bake for 15-17 minutes or until cakes are cooked through.  Cakes will be thin.

3. Once cooled completely, remove from pans and stack on top of each other. Take a long sharp knife and cut an egg shape.  Once cut, place each individual layer of cake onto wax paper.

4.  To prepare frosting- beat cream cheese and butter until well combined.  Slowly beat in powdered sugar until desired consistency.
5. Frost and stack each layer as you go. Decorate!

6 comments:

  1. Fun layers and whimsical decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute...the cake and the child! Wow P is really growing up fast, she looks like an advanced toddler now...they grow fast! I remember that actually. Love that cake, it's just such fun. You did a great job with the outside and the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cake. I love those colors and your decorating skills are so good. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/04/sweets-for-saturday-14_22.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. A cute cake for a cute kid. Lovely easter colors! I am kind of jealous, how come I don't get cake or presents on my 1/2 birthday? I might suggest this to my bf :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cake looks so pretty! Great job with the decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cake just made my heart smile! It's sooo pretty! Any little girls dream come true, I'm sure:) Great, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails