Thursday, April 14, 2011

Daring Cooks: Edible Containers

Renata of Testado, Provado & Aprovado! was our Daring Cooks’ April 2011 hostess. Renata challenged us to think “outside the plate” and create our own edible containers! Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 17th to May 16th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!

The April Daring Cooks challenge was savory edible containers. There were a number of great suggested recipes. I couldn't pick just one, so I picked three: a noodle bowl and two kinds of bread bowls- one for eggs and one for soup.

Edible Container 1: Noodle Bowl for Salad
This noodle bowl is created by using ramen noodles. I used to live off of ramen noodles in college. Ahh, the memories. The bowls are very cute but not practical at all with little kids. My youngest destroyed all but one of the bowls in seconds after getting up on a stool in the kitchen. Very cute though.

Edible Container 2: Eggs in Bread Bowl
I've never cooked eggs in the oven before. It's interesting, it came out very creamy. It was good. This will be a fun alternative for breakfast some days and I can see the kids loving the bread egg bowl. Baking an egg does take a lot more time though so plan accordingly!
Here was my big oops on my first egg. As I pulled it out of the oven one handed I dropped the ramekin and egg when everywhere! I added 'oven cleaning' to my to do list that day.

Edible Container 3: Edible Soup Bowl
A bread bowl for your soup! I had to try this.
After all my bread baking this dough was each enough to make and shape. I chose to make two bread bowls slightly larger and I used my jumbo muffin tin pan to achieve them.
The bowls were perfect for the bean soup I made. My only suggestion would be to put in the optional herbs. As I was eating the soup and bowl I kept thinking it would be been delicious if I'd added rosemary to the bread dough.
A huge hit here and a repeat someday for sure!
Edible Soup Bowl

Dough
1/2 cups + 3 Tbs water
1 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs sugar
2/3 c whole wheat flour
1 c bread flour
1tsp instant dry yeast
Dry herbs (optional)

1. In a bowl, combine flours, yeast and herbs (if using). Set aside. In another bowl, combine the water, salt, sugar, and olive oil. Add to the flour mixture and stir vigorously (or use paddle attachment on your mixer) until the dough is combined and you have a soft ball of dough. Knead for a few minutes or switch to the dough hook and mix for a few mintues. Let rise in an oiled bowl covered with a cloth until doubled. (About 1- 1 1/5 hours)

2. Punch down the dough and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Form a ball. Divide into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Cover with a cloth and let sit for 20 minutes.

3. Roll each dough into a 10 cm disk. Place each disk over an upside down buttered muffin pan. Press the dough against the plan to form the bowl. Repeat with the remaining dough. Cover and let rise until doubled. (About 30-45 minutes)

4. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees until lightly browned. About 20-25 minutes. Invert the bowls and cool.

7 comments:

  1. How fun! I love the different options you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also made bread bowls, they were a hit in our house as well.

    The eggs look good as well, pity you dropped one ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute...I've never made an edible bowl of any kind, so this would be fun to try. I love those edible nests that Chinese food sometimes comes in...made of matchstick potatoes or hashbrowns or something along those lines. I think I need to pursue this! Yours are great, the guys would so love an edible bread bowl for soup! Like Panera at home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Each of them is stunning I really like the last one the soup in a bowl is a wonderful idea. Marvellous work on this challenge. The noodle bowl is sweet. Glad to hear that they went down so well.

    Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all three bowls but that noodle bowl is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails