Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pain de Campagne

The twenty-second bread of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is pain de campagne. I am officially halfway through the challenge!! Woot Woot!! I am learned an incredible amount and had so much fun!

Pain de Campagne a very versatile bread for shaping. I could have been a lot more adventurous in shaping. The epi shape in particular looked intriguing, but this bread was destined for sopping up lots of oil and vingar so I chose the basic batard shape. I could have done a baguette, but I prefer more bread to crust.
The dough came together perfectly. Aside from forgetting I needed to make a pâte fermentée and thus postponing the bread making by a day, everything went smoothly. Normally I'll adjust the water and flour ratio to get just the right texture as it's mixing. For this bread my proportions were spot on and no additional alterations were needed. It was almost too easy.

No more cornmeal mess here! I finally just used parchment and slide the parchment on the baking stone. It was simple with no mess!
The bread was fantastic. I think this is my favorite bread. The bread was dense and chewy sort of like a bagel can be, but the crust was like a good baguette. I probably could have cooked the loaves about 5 more minutes to crisp up the crust more.
We enjoyed the bread with garlic olive oil, fig balsamic vinegar, and Tuscan dipping spices. Just seeing these photos again makes me want to make this loaf all over again!

3 comments:

  1. Your picture of the dipped bread makes my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great, you are really catching up to where I am, maybe I should wait for you so we can bake some together. The dipping photos are wonderful, such a great thing to do with this bread!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails