Friday, March 25, 2011

{FFwD} Scallops with Caramel-Orange Sauce

This week's French Friday's with Dorie recipe is scallops with caramel-orange sauce. This was my first time ever cooking scallops. I'll admit, I was a bit nervous.

The recipe is actually quite simple. It begins with the caramel-orange sauce. The caramel sauce is made my cooking sugar down. Here's a picture of me testing the color of the caramel sauce on a plate. I was looking for a deep caramel color. I then added the white wine and juiced orange and cooked the sauce down. I think I need a bit more practice with reductions. It tasted great but I sense it should have thickened more.
 
I then cooked the scallops. What an adventure. Dorie says to heat the skillet on high. I did. I added the oil and then the scallops. They sizzled! They're poor bottoms stuck to the bottom of the pan. I finally was able to flip them after shaving off a bit. The same thing happened on the other side. They cooked. They looked nice, but I had a bunch of scallop stuck to my pan. In the end, I ended up with an edible product, so it was a success!

I liked the meal a lot but I'm not sure I'll be making scallops at home a ton so I'm not sure I'd repeat the dish, but it was a good meal!

12 comments:

  1. Glad you gave it a try! Sticky food can be a bit of a bummer - but if you were able to get it mostly out, sounds like you had success. This sauce was great on chicken too, so you may want to give it a try on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your scallops turned out really well for your first try! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious, I just love scallops. Since it is Friday during Lent, I am making these later, but hope to have the post up before Friday is actually over. Sometimes this works: don't try to move the food too soon or it will stick to the pan, when it is properly caramelized, it releases on its own when you go to flip it. That said, I wasn't there to know if that would have worked with your scallops or not. Either way, they look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your scallops look great, especially since it's your first time making them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the picture of the caramel in its varying shades!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed -- delicious dish; not sure I'll make it again. But I did decide I like cooking scallops at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your dish looked great and the sauce was beautiful, wasn't it? Maybe try it with shrimp next time? My family loved the shrimp version:).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice job. I'll make the seared scallops but probably not the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really was an adventure. I had never prepared scallops before and followed the recipe to a T. Dorie came through with flying colors. My hubby loved the sauce, which although was very easy...still had moments of drama to it. Another exciting French Friday !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your drops of caramel to test. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, they look good to me. I used to get scared of food sticking but then realized that it will mostly release itself when its ready to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your caramel test shot looks cute :) I really liked this recipe and since my boyfriend doesn't like scallops I already plan on making this sauce with pork for him.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails