Monday, March 7, 2011

BBA: Pain à l' Ancienne

My little cooking hiatus lasted longer than expected, but I'm back! My poor kitchen has suffered through too many frozen dinners recently. It's time to get cooking again! I'm really excited to get back to the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge in particular.

The twenty-first bread of the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge is pain à l' ancienne.

To be honest, it's been a bit since I've made this bread so I can't remember all the details. I do remember that the dough came together well. I had a good feeling for it. I did have trouble transferring it for baking. I haven't quite figured out how to do that process without a mess of cornmeal. I'm only halfway through the book though, so there is lots of time improvement! I do remember that the bread was fantastic!! The crust was crunchy and the bread was chewy and soft. I think we ate all three loaves in 36 hours with a lot of oil and balsamic dipping.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back, Renee! I really struggled with the transfer process, too. Finally just gave up and now put every hearth-baked loaf (or pizza crust) onto a small square of parchment paper...slides easily onto the baking stone without the mess of corn meal or flour going everywhere. Your pain a l'ancienne looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pain a l'ancienne looks delicious! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, you were missed. How are the girls? We loved this bread, and I do what Abby does, maybe because Abby told me to do it awhile back actually, I use parchment paper to transfer and bake on it. Your bread looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun that you're doing this challenge too - my friend, who is part of BBA got me into French Fridays with Dorie, so I'm hopping over to look at your bread post! She's taking a bit of a break due to a kitchen remodel, etc. Great that you're back to cooking!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails