Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Speculoos {FFwD}

These speculoos cookies are my last French Fridays with Dorie recipe for the month. I thought they would make a fabulous addition to my cookie plate this year. After reading Phyl's review I was eager to try them myself.

The dough came together easily. Dorie suggests waxed paper to roll out the dough between before refrigeration. I have consistently forgotten waxed paper at the grocery store for the last month. Instead I used two silpats and rolled the dough between it and then wrapped it in plastic wrap. It worked great.

My smallest cookie cutter was just a round cutter. It's not as fun and fancy as the scalloped cutter would have been but my cookies would have been huge had I used it. With the leftover scraps I rolled them into little balls and baked them for some petite rounds.

The flavor of the cookie is really nice. It's not overpowering with cinnamon and would be a great cookie to go with coffee (not that I drink coffee). This year, it's a great cookie to balance my cookie plate.

12 comments:

  1. Your Silpat trick is wonderful! No waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thought with the two Silpats. Rolling these out between something definitely made a huge difference in handling them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look very nice and sound wonderful. Great trick with the silpat...necessity is the mother of invention, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your "little" ones! I agree that these are a perfect addition to our holiday cookie plate. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mini cookies made from the scraps look so cute! Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are up for me next week...fun to see all the fun options! Good to hear they were so yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your speculoos look great! I loved these cookies. And smart idea to use the Silpat. I use mine so much, I'm surprised I didn't think if that. Next time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the circles! ... though who's to argue with a giant speculoos cookie? not me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea with the silpats. :) These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea with the silpats. I'm not a rolled dough person and stupidly tried to wrestle with saran wrap. Thankfully I remembered I had parchment and that worked much better. I will use silpat next time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i also only had a plain round cutter. After seeing everyone's post i got a serious case of cookie cutter envy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I left the cookies for the last week, coward that I am:) Just kidding. Kids want gingerbread cookies, and I'll give them speculoos. What a bargain:)
    I do not have a silpat (I wish I did), but I can see how it would help. I'll try using parchment paper.
    Your cookies look so cute:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails