Monday, December 27, 2010

Modern Baker: One Step Croissants

This is my last Modern Baker Challenge recipe for the yeast risen specialties. Next quarter we're on to savory tarts and pies!

I love croissants. I especially love fresh croissants from a patisserie on the streets on Paris. I was very skeptical these croissants would hold up to that memory. Phyl didn't have rave reviews of this recipe either. I almost didn't even go through with the recipe, but curiosity got the best of me and I went for it.
Making croissants yourself is a good reminder of how much butter goes into them! Yipes for cholesterol!
I had a bit of trouble with the dough. It was really wet so I added some extra flour and I think I over-corrected too much. The final croissants were dense and a little dry. The taste was okay but the whole experience of them just wasn't the same as eating a croissant from a proper bakery. I don't think this is a bad recipe, I just think I have a certain way I like my croissants. I probably won't make these again.

2 comments:

  1. Even though you didn't care for the recipe, your croissants still look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look so wonderful...too bad the taste didn't work out as well. Mine didn't rise very much so I think I should do it again, they were flaky, though, and they were great as chicken salad sandwiches! I have 2 more recipes I want to make yet before I call a halt on this section, we shall see if I get it done or not.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails