Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy 1st Blogoversary!

364 days (and 220 posts) ago this blog was born.

What an incredible year this has been. I think this might have been one of the first new years resolutions I've ever actually kept! I have had many successes and definitely my share of failures this year in the kitchen.

HIGHLIGHTS OF 2010!
THE BEST
Beginning the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge and in particular making bagels and challah! Look at that gorgeous braid!
Baking my great grandma's and grandmas' recipes including the infamous sticky buns.
Croquembouche- I was totally blown away by what I'd created.Conquering chicken!!! I cut up a whole chicken- a defining moment!  I was so proud of myself and I know my husband was blown away. I also roasted a chicken- more than once. I can cook a whole bird! This is life altering cooking here people!

THE WORST
The most memorable disaster was the sugar cookies I decorated. The decorations came out nicely, but the cookies themselves were TERRIBLE. In my post I said they were okay, but I was lying. They were absolutely horrible. Butter is a key ingredient to a good sugar cookie and accidentally halving the butter turns sugar cookies into dry chalky flour. Okay, that might not seem like a huge disaster, but I spent a lot of time on those cookies and to have them turn out so horrible was crushing. As a side note- I think I did too good a job of not mentioning my failures as they happened. I know I burned things and had other disasters. Next year I'll work on showcases my failures more.


THE BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT
This 12 Layer cake I'd had in my recipe box for half a decade. I was so excited to make it and even made it as my birthday cake. It was just a big stack of pancakes with chocolate syrup. Yuck.


THE PRETTIEST
Rainbow Cake

40th Anniversary Cake- Red Velvet Cake


THE YUMMIEST THINGS I MADE

Cheesecake- #2

Cocoa Crinkle Sandwich Cookies

THE BEST BEST BEST BEST BEST THING!
A future in the kitchen with my daughters.

It's been quite an adventure so far.

I'll go quiet for a bit now. I'm coming down from the holidays and gearing up for a big 3rd birthday and 10th anniversary celebration!

4 comments:

  1. Such fun to see the year in review! Happy Anniversary, and Happy New Year. Have enjoyed making so many things with you this year and seeing all the fun stuff you make that I don't! Looking forward to 2011. New Year's hugs for C & P!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute review! I'm already tagging some of your recipes so I can make them myself! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Renee on an incredibly creative and productive cooking year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails