Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Adapted From: Holiday Cookies
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c butter
1 1/4 c sugar, plus more for rolling
2 tsp vanilla
1 can frosting
1/2 c crushed candy cane
1. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan. Remove from heat and slightly cool. Add sugar, whisk until smooth. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time. Stir in vanilla. Stir in flour mixture just until combined. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 350. Shape dough into equal sized balls. I prefer 1/2 inch so final sandwich cookie is small. Place sugar in a bowl. Roll balls in sugar and place on baking sheet.
4. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove cookies from cookie sheet immediately. They get crispy as they cool and are harder to remove. Cool cookies completely.
5. Stir frosting. Place about 2 tsp of frosting on the bottom of a cookie. Press another cookie (flat side) into the frosting to make a sandwich. Press together so the frosting slightly squeezes out on the edge of the cookies. Roll the exposed frosting into the crushed candy cane.