Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Adapted From: Family Fun Magazine
1c butter, softened
3/5 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peppermint extract
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 c flour
green food coloring
red food coloring
1. Cream butter and sugar together. Add the egg. Add the vanilla and peppermint extracts. Beat well until all is incorporated.
2. Add the flour and salt in three batches until the dough is evenly mixed.
3. Divide the dough into thirds. Add the red food coloring to one third. Add the green coloring to one third. Knead the color into the dough. Wrap each ball into plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or for at least 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 375. On a floured surface roll out two pieces (about tablespoons worth) of contrasting colored dough into 8 inch long ropes. Twist together and pinch at the ends. Bend the shape into a candy cane shape. Repeat with remaining dough.
5. Bake cookies until set but not brown, about 10 minutes. Rotate the sheet halfway through. Cool the cookies on the sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack and cool.