Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Modern Baker: Chocolate Babka Loaf

This next recipe from the Modern Baker Challenge was a huge hit in this house. It's a simple bread with a delicious ring of chocolate and pecans on the inside.

The dough mixed together easily and actually rose! Yay! I used instant yeast this time. It's possible my active yeast has simply lost it's pow, but I also realized something else. It's fall. It's cold. I started the Bread Baker's Apprentice Challenge and the Modern Baker Challenge in the spring. It's always been warm when I've been baking bread! Now I understand why people like to bake in the summer.

For the filling I chopped and then processed the chocolate with sugar, cocoa powder, and cinnamon. I rolled out the bread, spread the filling, jelly-rolled the bread, cut it in half, set in loaf pans, let rise, and baked.  
The bread was simple and slightly sweet. The filling was rich. It was a perfect combination.
I ate more than my share. I loved to slightly warm it in the microwave so the chocolate would ooze out of the bread.

4 comments:

  1. Time to catch up over here on blog reading. This is really outstanding in looks...as you know, I am not a chocolate fan, but my guys are going to love this one if it looks like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. Actually, I didn't really intend to make the chocolate babka loaf because I made the one from Reinhart's ABED and was kind of disappointed, but you make Malgieri's version sound really yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails