Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Kentucky Butter Rum Cake

Every year I make this cake for my husband for his birthday. The recipe came from an old cookbook of his mother's. It's a delicious and hearty pound cake topped (hmm... well, topped and then flipped) with a butter rum sauce that gives the cake pockets of sugary moist rich goodness.

I used to send the cake to work with my husband. A co-worker of his shares the same birthday and also loves the cake. One year I found out that they hide the cake from the rest of their co-workers and spent the day secretly eating it.
In all the years I've made the cake I have never perfected the unmolding. I've tried so many different things and have changed pans twice. My sister recently made an apple cake in a bundt pan and unmolded it beautifully. I asked her secret. She said oil and flour. I tried oil and flour a couple years ago with disastrous results, but my sister is quite a cook and baker and I trust her, so next year I'm breaking out the flour again.
Kentucky Butter Rum Cake
Printable Recipe
1 c butter, softened
2 c sugar
4 eggs
3 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
1 c buttermilk or sour milk

Butter Sauce
1 c sugar
1/4 c hot water
1/2 c butter
1 Tbs rum extract

1. Heat oven to 350. Generously grease a 10'' tube cake.

2. In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.

3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Add the vanilla. Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk. Blend on slow and then beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Scrap bowl occasionally.

4. Pour into pan and bake for 60-65 minutes until the top springs back when touched.

5. Prepare sauce. In a saucepan heat sugar, butter, and water. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add rum extract.

6. Prick the top and pour warm sauce over cake. Cool completely before removing from pan.

2 comments:

  1. My Mom used to make this in the regular tube pan and cut a paper bag on the bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I linked to this on my blog (http://wp.me/p3W4y7-7W)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails