Tuesday, November 16, 2010
I used to send the cake to work with my husband. A co-worker of his shares the same birthday and also loves the cake. One year I found out that they hide the cake from the rest of their co-workers and spent the day secretly eating it.
1 c butter, softened
2 c sugar
3 c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla
1 c buttermilk or sour milk
1 c sugar
1/4 c hot water
1/2 c butter
1 Tbs rum extract
1. Heat oven to 350. Generously grease a 10'' tube cake.
2. In a medium bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
3. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each addition. Add the vanilla. Alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk. Blend on slow and then beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Scrap bowl occasionally.
4. Pour into pan and bake for 60-65 minutes until the top springs back when touched.
5. Prepare sauce. In a saucepan heat sugar, butter, and water. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add rum extract.
6. Prick the top and pour warm sauce over cake. Cool completely before removing from pan.