Sunday, November 21, 2010

BBA: Light Wheat Bread

The eighteenth bread of the BBA Challenge is light wheat bread. The whole wheat flour only accounts for 33%of the total flour, so it's not most whole grain of wheat breads, but it's a great bread in the middle between white and all whole grain.

This recipe calls for powdered milk. I used to always have powdered milk on hand because I don't drink milk. I hate it. I always have. I used to take my milk with me to the bathroom during dinner and pour it down the sink. For some reason my parents let me believe I was pulling one over on them when I'd say, "I'll finish my milk in the bathroom." For years I'd always use powdered milk in lieu of milk in recipes. But, then I had kids. Now, I buy whole milk two gallons at a time. I just couldn't bring myself to buy powdered milk again (especially when I couldn't get a small box) so instead I used 1 1/2 Tbs of real milk and just adjusted the water a bit as I added it. 

I must say that with this bread, I finally felt like a breadmaker. I felt like I knew what I was doing! I knew it needed a bit more flour during mixing, I knew when the dough felt right, I felt confident in the shaping (okay, it's just a loaf, but it's the best one I've done!), and I knew it needed an extra two minutes just by looking at it.

The bread is delicious. It's soft and simple and yet dense and chewy. I will be making it again. In fact, I'm going to go get another piece and smear it with butter for my dessert tonight.

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I cannot imagine not liking milk. But then I think you probably cannot imagine not liking chocolate, right? You are doing great on these breads. I am making Pugliese right now, the biga is warming on the counter, and yesterday I did the Potato Rosemary Bread, although I made rolls with it...those are so great!! One of my favorites so far. You are catching up to me...soon we will be on sourdough breads at the same time. I am looking forward to that as I'm clueless on those. Your bread is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a great sandwich bread. I'm looking forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails