Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Resolution Completed!

At the beginning of the year I set the following new year's resolution for myself. 

1. To cook at least one new recipe a week. That's at least 52 recipes. 
2. To try all recipes in my recipe box that have never been tried before.
3. To cook a complete Thanksgiving and Christmas meal sometime this year.
 
I quickly completed goal 1. Goal 2 took a good part of the year to complete. Most of the recipes in the box were my grandma's and most were sweets. I'm sure I gained a few pounds this year with all the goodies constantly baking in the oven!


And, then there is goal 3. The direction of this blog has changed immensely since I began. I've joined other cooking and baking groups (heck, I've discovered that they even exist!) and I'm finding them a lot of fun. Goal 3 was stressing me out. I'd changed my mind. I didn't want to be tied to that goal anymore. I wanted to just discard it. But, then I thought about it. Cooking a turkey had really been the intention for that goal. I wrapped it all into making a whole dinner (two whole dinners) and working on my dinner timing issues, but the turkey had really been point. So....
I made a turkey! Okay, in full disclosure, it was only the turkey breast, but I did cook it and I did carve it. (I need to be more observant at the store. I thought I was buying a whole turkey.) I used my new Julia Child's The Way To Cook book to help me prepare the turkey. I was cooking for someone post surgery so I kept it very simple and only seasoned it with olive oil and a little salt and pepper.

My carving skills could sure use some work, but I think I did a great job for the first time. I'm eager to try another turkey- maybe even this year! One thing is for sure- I got a ton of meals out of this one bird!

I am so excited these goals are officially done!
1. To cook at least one new recipe a week. That's at least 52 recipes. 
2. To try all recipes in my recipe box that have never been tried before.
3. To cook a complete Thanksgiving and Christmas meal sometime this year. Altered to: Cook a turkey.

Along the way to these goals, I joined - eek! - 7 cooking groups!
The Daring Kitchen (Daring Cooks and Daring Bakers)
Bread Baker's Apprentice
Modern Baker
Martha Stewart's Cupcakes
My Kitchen, My World
French Fridays with Dorie

Now that I'm done with my goals I'm happy to not set anymore. I needed goals at the beginning to keep me motivated this year, but now I just want to take a break and cook and bake a little here and there and see where it all takes me.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Always love goal setting and goal making...you did great. Gasp...I am in five of these groups with you...lol. The Daring ones scare the heck out of me! Love seeing all the things you make. What are we all going to make for Japan??? I haven't a clue yet

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kayte- I'm thinking simple- probably Miso Soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats, Renee! That's so exciting! (And the turkey will get easier and easier each time!) =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you; and I was the happy recipient of some of your delicious food. I hope you will keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how your goals have changed over the course of the year, and yet you stuck to your guns and baked that turkey. What a good idea to just get it over with and not to try to do it for Thanksgiving, which is a very stressful way to cook your first turkey (speaking from experience).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails