Saturday, October 30, 2010

My Kitchen, My World: [Japan] Miso Soup

Globe Trotting continues!
My Kitchen, My World Travels to Japan.
When I first heard we were headed to Japan I immediately thought sushi! I love sushi and have made it twice at sushi making parties. I thought it might be fun to give it a go on my own. However, it's quite labor intensive and as the season turned to "soup weather" I thought about my second favorite thing to order when I got out for sushi.... miso soup. 

It's such a simple broth soup and I thought I might enjoy it as an alternative soup to chicken noodle when the inevitable colds hit. I bought some miso, followed the directions and in 10 minutes had miso soup. 

I didn't like it at all. I took two spoonfuls and gave the rest to my husband who happily ate mine. I don't know enough about miso to know if it's simply the brand I bought or the style (I bought brown miso and they also had red and white miso), or if I just don't like it outside of a sushi restaurant. My husband loved it.

A failure for me, but a good experience.

Miso Soup
2 c water
2 Tbs miso paste
2 green onions
1/2 onion
1/2 c firm tofu
Other vegetables optional

Saute onion. In a pot add all ingredients and bring to a simmer. Make sure miso paste dissolves. Serve.

2 comments:

  1. I would be curious about the miso... wonder if there is homemade miso?

    ReplyDelete
  2. And did I get Japan done? NO!! Well, not yet, there is always a chance that I will get it done and post late. A disturbing trend with me lately actually. I have the recipes picked out, I have a desire to make it, I have just got to get it going! Yours looks really good, I am all about soup anytime anywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails