Monday, October 11, 2010

Modern Baker: Pecan Stickiest Buns

Prepare for a sugar and butter explosion. These sticky buns go all the way and I'm sure glad they do!
The sweet yeast dough came together easily in my mixer, although again I think the editor missed something. The dough recipe is on the Bakery Crumb Buns page and it says to prepare through step 5. However, step 5 is the beginning of making the crumb topping. I'm assuming he meant through step 4.


My dough mixed together easily but took forever to rise. Again. What is going on? When I tested the active dry yeast, it was good, but in every recipe I used it in it takes forever for my dough to rise. This recipe has made an instant yeast user out of me! I will now be using Phyl's yeast equivalents and substituting instant yeast.


I rolled the dough out on a floured board and spread my butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and pecan filling on top. I was supposed to spread the pecans on top, but I absentmindedly added them to the filling bowl. I am such a distracted baker! I'm amazed anything turns out.
I jelly-rolled the dough and cut the buns.
I lined my pan with foil (very important especially if you want an easy clean up) and spread the sticky bun mixture on the bottom. The mixture includes butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and pecans. Be kind to your guest, just don't tell them how much sugar and butter go into these buns. Let them just enjoy without worrying about calories.
I lined the buns up and let them rise. Again it took, forever! I was finally fed up after 2 hours and popped them in the oven.
Here they are still bubbling fresh out of the oven. I let them cool for 10 minutes and then flipped them over onto a cutting board.
Wow. These were fantastic. Mine were more dense as I know my dough didn't rise as much as it should have, but the flavor was great and they were eaten up in no time. Be sure to make these when you have guests, you don't want a whole pan around with just yourself in the house. They're just too tempting.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, those look absolutely amazing! Could I have one right now, please?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMW, I could eat this post! Great post, great photos, and great inspiration. I can tell we are going to love these...they look very very dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pecans in the middle is perfect, too. Grandma G. used to put them in the middle, also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGosh, these look SOOOOOOOOO GOOD! I must try these when it gets a tad cooler in Arizona!!! Oh man, my mouth is watering!

    Jenifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Renee, these look so good!! I'm baking them today, and now I can't wait until they are done!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails