Sunday, October 3, 2010

Modern Baker: Kouing Amman: Brenton Butter & Sugar Pastry

This pastry demonstrates how mixing simple butter, flour, and sugar together can create a divine dessert.

The ingredients are simple and in fact were the reason I chose this as my first Modern Baker recipe of our next section- yeast-risen specialties. I was sick and had a house of sick kids. We were climbing the walls and I needed a treat. No running to the grocery store though! What did I have on hand? Well, flour, butter, sugar, yeast, water, and salt.
I must say step 5 of beating the butter with a rolling pin was one of the funnest things I've done in the kitchen this year!!
The pastry involves rolling and folding, spreading butter, rolling, spreading sugar, and more folding and more sugar and more rolling. In the end, you place the dough in a cake pan (I only had an 8'' at the moment so I used that instead of the recommended 10'') and bake it for one hour. The sugar crystallizes and the dough is soft and buttery and flaky.
My dear husband had had a long day when he got home to this treat. Well, when he got home to 3/4th of it as I'd already started nibbling. After one bite he declared he would eat it all by the end of the night and he did. I was kind enough not to tell him how much butter was in it. Sometimes, you need to just enjoy your dessert.

4 comments:

  1. i have this recipe for the Modern Post..and I can NOT wait to try it :) Your looks exactly like the book! You make it sound so simple

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks fun and delicious. I think I would commence nibbling as well. Eager to make this now that I have seen it all done up like this. Great process photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks fantastic!! I was browsing the book today for a quick and easy recipe . . . looks like I should've picked this one instead of the one I tried!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that this was delicious, I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails