Friday, October 15, 2010

{FFwD} Spicy Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup

This French Fridays with Dorie recipe was a great experience for me. I did two things I've never done before. One, is pictured below. Dorie has you put cilantro stems, coriander seeds, star anise, and peppercorns in a cheesecloth in the stockpot. I liked how this added flavor the soup. I could see using this concept on other soups. I always lose those darn bay leaves you're supposed to remove before serving and there was that one time I pureed the darn bay leave into the pot of soup.
I must say the second new thing I did made me very very nervous. I have never cooked chicken by poaching it in a pot of soup. In my world, raw chicken stays far away from all other things and having never done this before it felt a bit icky. Would it really cook fully? Was it contaminating the soup pot with raw chicken juice?

I thought the soup was okay. There was a flavor in it that wasn't wild about and I'm not sure what it was. I think maybe it was the anise, although I normally like that flavor. My husband loved the soup and was delighted to have all the leftovers to himself. The toddler and baby both liked the soup too.

5 comments:

  1. This soup looks SO good and I could only imagine how fragrant your home must of smelled after making this. Mouth watering!

    Jenifer

    Jaime and Jen Dish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your soup looks hearty, tasty, fresh and delicious!
    *Buttercreambarbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, what Tia said, hearty and tasty! I would have eaten all the leftovers too. Unfortunately we had none!

    Trevor Sis. Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering about the anise flavor in this as I read the recipe. Now I am certain that I need to make it to see what that is all about. Yours looks wonderful and delicious. Soup weather is upon us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been tryn to leave a comment here quite a number of times, but dont know why it aint gng thru or maybe it did.....check check checkkkk

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails