Friday, October 29, 2010

{FFwD} Marie-Helene's Apple Cake

Those that have been reading my blog for awhile know that I have a thing about fruit in my bread (I don't like it) and I wondered if that applied to cake as well. Apple cake doesn't jump out at me as something I must eat, however, I wanted to give this French Fridays with Dorie recipe a shot. Dorie herself picked it out as one for us to try.

The ingredients were all very simple which I liked. I already had everything on hand, except the rum. Living in Oregon I had to go to an actual liquor store to get the rum. I only wanted a little bottle and all he had was a spiced rum in that size so my rum had some spice to it.

I undercooked the cake just slightly, but it was still quite good. I even had a second piece. The rum was really the key ingredient. I don't always like alcohol in baked goods, but I thought it went great with the apples. I did a combination of apples in the cake, but preferred the tarter apples. All in all, a simple delicious cake.

2 comments:

  1. Renee,

    I didn't use rum, used cinnamon instead and we still all found it delcious.

    The apple wedger came from pampered chef and it has been well worth what ever I paid for it. I see that they have them on amazon.com. One of my kids was addicted to peanut butter and apple slices, I think that it was the snack that got him through high school swimming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so pretty and so dainty. I made it twice trying to get it to be more batter than apples and it just didn't happen, not that anyone minded because we all love apples in anything, so it was eaten both times in record time. That said, I wanted mine to look more like yours!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails