Friday, October 22, 2010

{FFwD} Hachis Parmentier

The next French Fridays with Dorie recipe is hachis parmentier. It's basically a potato casserole pie. To be honest, I wasn't that jazzed about this recipe. These kinds of dishes and not my favorites and I'm finding casserole's hard for the toddler right now. I don't think she likes her food to touch. If she's like her mom, it'll take awhile for her to grow out of it.

I chose the simpler route and used ground beef and beef broth. I also kept the vegetables in. Even though this isn't my kind of dish, I thoroughly enjoyed this meal. The flavor was great. I think in particular, the beef broth and Gruyere cheese really made the dish so delicious. I can only imagine if you went to all the work of cooking the beef the long way how great it would be. I probably won't do this dish again, even though it sure was tasty.

5 comments:

  1. Looks great.

    I think you should give it a try with chuck steak. I made it the long way, and it was really, really delicious. It takes some time, but it's not really that much work. Definitely a repeat at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came by to see how you did with this one this week and I think you were smart to do the shortcut version. I went the long route and I think that while good, there was not real need for it esp if you are going to 'soup up' the stock with bouillon or demi-glace or whatever.
    Trevor Sis. Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with gaarp. This one was delicious, and you could peel off the potato layer and have them separate on the plate.

    It has been a long time since my kids wouldn't eat food that touched. Isn't that a funny one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the bonne idée version is smart when you're as busy as you are. I had fun making the long version, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, it looks really spectacular. I am working on it today...of course, I was supposed to be working on it yesterday, but the day was so nice that I put it aside for some outdoor fun. I'm going the long route because I want to try everything that way and see what it brings. I may try the short route down the line as my guys are meat and potatoes guys for dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails